2.11.2012

Cabbage-Salsa Soup

It rained today, which means it’s a good day to make soup. I didn’t want to go shopping so this was going to be one of those cook-what-you-got sorts of soups.
Here’s what I did:
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 1 onion
  • 1 can of beans (I used kidney beans, but I’m sure any kind would be good)
  • Rice (If you have leftover cooked rice, that would be perfect. I didn’t, so I cooked 1 cup of rice. Alternatively, this soup would be good with strips of corn tortillas instead of rice!)
  • Salsa (I used almost an entire jar of my uncle’s home-canned. Aw, yeah getting freaky with the home-canned...)
  • Tomato juice
  • Garlic
  • Vinegar (I used apple cider and balsamic. Vinegar is my secret soup ingredient, always!)
  • Cumin
  • Sriracha
  • Vegetable bouillon
  • Cilantro
  • Salt
  • Olive oil

1. Slice the veggies into big bite-sized pieces. (I only had cabbage and onion, but carrots, peppers, celery, etc would be delicious!)
2. Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil. (I just did this in the bottom of my soup pot.)
3. Once the onions are pretty (a little wilted and caramelized, yum), then add everything else!
As for amounts of things, I like the soup to be pretty flavorful, so I add quite a bit. Right at the end, I didn’t think it was tomato-y enough, so I added a little tomato juice and that was nice. I also think this soup would be super yummy with fresh cilantro, but I only had dried... The cumin, I thought, tasted really nice in it, which I wasn’t quite expecting.

I was too hungry to take pictures while cooking, but here's the end result!
Please ignore the messy kitchen?

Good luck with your soup making!

No comments:

Post a Comment