2.02.2012

Amigurumi Mania!


I love amigurumi. Amigurumi simply means “knit toy” in Japanese. (I don’t think it specifies whether it is knitted or crocheted; as far as I know, both are amigurumi. But I've only done amigurumi with crochet, so there.) But amigurumi patterns are, in my opinion, super amazingly magical!
Basically all amigurumi is worked in the round. It's way more fun than working flat, and the patterns are three dimensional. At first this can be challenging, but once you get going, it is so much fun! I promise.
I think my first adventure in amigurumi was a mushroom. Aww, yeah. It all started with a mushroom. After reading some amigurumi patterns and getting an idea of how they worked, I whipped up this little sucker. Acrylic yarn and fiber fill and voila, a fungus among us.
Yep. It's just a mushroom.
Then I decided I wanted a challenge. So I checked out Amigurumi!: Super Happy Crochet Cute by Shannon Doherty and made the Friends Forever Fawn.
Chin up, fawn! Oh, you can't? Well then...
Mine didn’t turn out quite so beautiful, but whatever. She's floppy. It's cool.
And I kept on hooking. I felt that I needed to create crocheted sea creatures, so I made a lobster.
Didn't John Mayer say something about an ocean of blankets? Eh? Eh?
Oh dang, he’s so cute. He’s got button eyes and pipe cleaners in his little arms. Yes, his claws are lopsided, but that's what happens when you don't write your patterns down. Writing things down is... just too much work. I'm lazy. And anyway, I think real lobsters are lopsided. So it's realistic.
Then for the finishing move, I crocheted a squid. 
Damn.
Oh damn. That is one fine looking squid.
All your arguments are now invalid because I crocheted a squid. Sorry about that.
The squid was in all single crochet except for the ring around the place where his tentacles are attached (What is that? His mouth or something? I don't know.) which is worked in double crochet.
Pretty much I increased where I wanted things to get wider and decreased where I wanted things to get skinnier.
Yep. That's my pattern. Single crochet and sometimes there are increases and decreases.
If I was going to give squid-making advice, I’d recommend making the tentacles with I-cord instead of crocheting them because crocheting them was a pain in the neck, and I-cord is awesome.
Gaze into his squid-y eye...
 Well... I'd say that pretty much sums up how I feel about amigurumi. Stay tuned for next time when I crochet an angler fish!

Pattern(s):  Fawn from Amigurumi! by Shannon Doherty, all other patterns are mine!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Jenny, when have you been doing all this?? And how come I haven't seen them decorating your lovely apartment? I want to hold the squid especially... :)

    ReplyDelete